Map Colour: Light Blue Opened: 1968 Stations: 16 Length: 13 miles (21km)
Walthamstow Central Blackhorse Road Tottenham Hale Seven Sisters Finsbury Park Highbury & Islington
Kings Cross St Pancras Euston Warren Street Oxford Circus Green Park Victoria Pimlico Vauxhall
The first proposal for an underground rail line running from Victoria to Walthamstow was made by the British Transport Commission in 1948, largely following part of a plan proposed for a line from Croydon to Finsbury Park in 1946. In 1955, a Private Bill was introduced to the House of Commons, describing the building of a line from Victoria to Wood Street, Walthamstow with a possible subsequent extension from Victoria to Fulham Broadway.
The original proposal for the line saw it rise to terminate at Wood Street, Walthamstow providing an interchange with the British Rail services at that station. Other proposed extensions were for the line to continue from Wood Street to serve Woodford and thus interchange with the Central Line. However, the decision was taken to terminate the line at Hoe Street, Walthamstow (now Walthamstow Central).
Construction of the initial section of the line from Walthamstow to Victoria began in 1962 with the line utilising a test tunnel between Tottenham & Manor House which had been bored in 1959. A southern extension of the line from Victoria to Brixton was approved by Parliament in August 1967 with the addition of an additional station at Pimlico approved in June 1968.
The first section of the line opened between Walthamstow Central and Highbury & Islington on 1 September 1968, with the line as far as Warren Street following in December of that year. The line from Walthamstow Central to Victoria was officially opened on 7 March 1969 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, who unveiled a plaque at Victoria before travelling on a service as far as Green Park.
On 23 July 1971, the extension from Victoria to Brixton was opened by Princess Alexandra, who made a journey between Brixton & Vauxhall.