Map Colour: Light Grey Opened: 1979 Stations: 27 Length: 22.5 miles (36.2km) Rolling Stock Used: 1996 Stock
Stanmore Canons Park Queensbury Kingsbury Wembley Park Neasden Dollis Hill Willesden Green Kilburn
West Hampstead Finchley Road Swiss Cottage St Johns Wood Baker Street Bond Street Green Park Westminster
Waterloo Southwark London Bridge Bermondsey Canada Water Canary Wharf North Greenwich Canning Town
West Ham Stratford
The origins of the Jubilee Line can be traced back as far as 1932, when the Metropolitan Railway constructed a new branch line from it’s exisiting station at Wembley Park, north to Stanmore.
The new line presented the Metropolitan Railway with a huge problem due to it’s success as the lines into Baker Street became quickly overloaded. As a solution to this congestion, the Metropolitan Railway put forward a scheme to build a new underground line, roughly following the path of Edgware Road to a point at Willesden Green. In anticipation of this line, the Metropolitan Railway began construction by rebuilding Edgware Road as a 4 platform station capable of taking 8 carriage trains, however, things changed in 1933 with the formation of the London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB), which absorbed the Metropolitan Railway.
The LPTB reviewed the Metropolitan’s plan and decided to opt instead to build a new branch of the Bakerloo Line north from Baker Street, serving new stations at St John’s Wood and Swiss Cottage. This would lead to the closure of 3 stations on the parallel Metropolitan route, namely Lords, Marlborough Road and Swiss Cottage (Met.), and also the abandonment of the Metropolitan’s extension from Edgware Road.
The new branch emerged from tunnels between the Metropolitan Railway’s lines at Finchley Road, providing cross platform interchange between the two lines. The route of the branch followed the Metropolitan’s tracks to Wembley Park, serving the intermediate stations and allowing the Metropolitan Line to run non-stop between Wembley & Finchley Road. The Bakerloo route continued north of Wembley Park, taking over the Metropolitan Railway’s branch to Stanmore. The Bakerloo Line extension was opened in 1939.
In 1965, plans emerged for the re-routing of the line at Baker Street to serve Bond Street, Trafalgar Square, Fleet Street, Ludgate Circus and Cannon Street before procedding under the River Thames and serving Southeast London. The new line was to be called the Fleet Line, after the River Fleet. Construction of the new section of line began in 1971, proceeding in a staged approach, with the first stage from Baker Street via a new 2.5 mile tunnel to a new station at Charing Cross, with intermediate stations at Bond Street & Green Park.
in 1975, a proposal was put forward to rename the line as the Jubilee Line in honour of Queen Elizabeth II’s Silver Jubilee in 1977. Initially, this proposal was rejected on cost grounds, but was eventually instigated after a pledge made by the Greater London Council in 1977.
The Jubilee Line between Stanmore and Charing Cross was completed in early 1979 and was officially opened in April of that year by Prince Charles, with passenger services commencing on May 1.
With the opening of stage 1 of the Jubilee Line, attention turned to the other 3 phases planned for the route, however financial pressures of the time put the project on hold until the late 1990s. THe project was to originally to extend the line to Aldwych, Cannon Street & Fenchurch Street (Phase 2), followed by extension under the River Thames to Surrey Quays and on via New Cross & New Cross Gate to Lewisham (Phase 3), before the possibility of a Phase 4 extension past Lewisham to Addiscombe & Hayes.
An alternative plan was floated in the 1970s which would have seen the extension of the line from Charing Cross via the original plan to Fenchurch Street with the continuation of the line via Wapping, Millwall, North Greenwich, Woolwich Arsenal and finally Thamesmead. The River Line, as this extension would have been named, along with the original plan were never instigated as both were deemed too expensive to construct.
In 1990 the plan to extend the Jubilee Line was once again brought to the table. This time the proposal was for a line splitting from the existing Green Park Station, passing through Westminster, Waterloo, London Bridge and Canary Wharf before passing through North Greenwich, Canning Town & West Ham to reach Stratford. Approval for the plan was quickly obtained and construction started in 1993, with the line opening in stages with Stratford to North Greenwich opening on 14 May 1999, to Waterloo on 24 September and finally linking to the existing Jubilee Line on 20 November. The interchange at Westminster was, due to construction problems, the last part of the project to open on 22 December 1999.