Map Colour: Brown Opened: 1906 Stations: 25 Length: 14.4 miles (23.2km) Rolling Stock Used: 1972 Stock
Harrow & Wealdstone Kenton South Kenton North Wembley Wembley Central Stonebridge Park Harlesden
Willesden Junction Kensal Green Queens Park Kilburn Park Maida Vale Warwick Avenue Paddington Edgware Road
Marylebone Baker Street Regents Park Oxford Circus Piccadilly Circus Charing Cross Embankment Waterloo
Lambeth North Elephant & Castle
Stonebridge Park Queens Park London Road
The Baker Street & Waterloo Railway, was constructed by the Underground Electric Railways Company of London (UERL) and opened between Baker Street and Lambeth North,originally named Kennington Road, on 10 March 1906. The line was extended to Elephant & Castle on 5 August of that year. The Bakerloo Line name became official in July 1906.
By 1913, the line had been extended from Baker Street to interchange with the Great Central Railway at Marylebone and the Great Western Railway at Paddington. This extension also included a new station at Edgware Road.
In 1915 the line was further extended to Queen’s Park, where it joined up with the London & North Western Railway line from Euston to Watford Junction. Bakerloo services to Watford Junction were reduced in the 1960s and were cut back to only as far as Stonebridge Park in 1982.
In the mid 1930s, the Metropolitan Line was suffering from severe congestion due to the lack of capacity on it’s lines between Baker Street & Finchley Road. The London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB), through it’s New Works Programme 1935-1940, constructed new tunnel sections between the Metropolitan Line stations at Baker Street and Finchley Road with new stations at St John’s Wood and Swiss Cottage to alleviate the congestion. These works also saw the closure of the Metropolitan Line stations at Lords, Marlborough Road & Swiss Cottage (Met).
Further expansion of the Bakerloo line occured on 20 November 1939 when the line took over Stanmore services from the Metropolitan. This operation continued until 1 May 1979, when Bakerloo Line services ceased and the Jubilee Line was opened. The new service connected the Baker Street platforms via a new set of tunnel bores to Charing Cross.
At the beginning of 1984, London Transport started to restore services on the Bakerloo Line from Stonebridge Park back as far as Harrow & Wealdstone and the present service was initiated in 1989.