Mornington Crescent Station
Address: Eversholt Street, Camden Town NW1 2JA | Get Directions Station Code: MTC Fare Zone: 2 Step Free: No
Mornington Crescent Station, designed by the Underground Electric Railways Company of London’s (UERL) architect Leslie Green, opened on the original Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway’s route on 22 June 1907. Although there was a proposal to call the station Seymour Street this was dropped in favour of the current name before opening.
Following opening it was quickly evident that the station was very lightly used and this led to the station only being open for traffic on weekdays and Edgware bound services did not call at the station.
With the formation of the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933 the line became part of London Underground and was officially recognised as the Northern Line from August 1937.
Mornington Crescent was bestowed with Grade II listed status as a building of special architectural or historic interest on 24 April 1987.
With the discovery that the station’s lifts were life expired after 85 years of constant use, the station was closed to allow their replacement in October 1992. The works were due to be completed within 12 months but, due to the neglect the station had suffered, further works were required and the re-opening did not occur until 27 April 1998. The reopening of the station saw it revert to full time operation including weekends, in an attempt to relieve the congestion and overcrowding experienced at nearby Camden Town Station.