Camden Town Station
Address: Camden High Street, London NW1 8NH | Get Directions Station Code: CTN Fare Zone: 2 Step Free: No
Camden Town Station, designed by the Underground Electric Railways Company of London’s (UERL’s) architect Leslie Green, opened in June 1907 as part of the original route of the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway. The station was unusual in its design as it was built in a V formation to serve both the Hampstead & Highgate branches.
Following the formation of the Underground Group in 1913 and the merging of the CCE&HR with the City & South London Railway, a proposal was made to connect the C&SLR terminus at Euston via a short extension to a point south of Camden Town. The proposal was accepted and the extension constructed, opening on 20 April 1924 and allowing services to run via both the City and West End branches of the line to Hampstead and Highgate.
When opened the platforms at the station were accessed either by lift or the emergency staircases. Due to increased patronage and the associated congestion, the lifts were replaced by escalators in October 1929.
Following the formation of the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933 the line became part of London Underground and was officially recognised as the Northern Line from August 1937.
During the Second World War, the western facade of the station was damaged by a bomb and was only partially rebuilt.
Congestion has always been a problem at Camden Town due to ever increasing patronage. In 2013, Transport for London announced plans for the redevelopment of the station. This redevelopment includes the construction of a new station building to the north of Buck Street which would allow the original buildings to remain standing. Consultation on the scheme will continue until December 2018 and a public inquiry is scheduled in 2019/2020.