Kensington Olympia (KPA) Station
Address: Olympia Way, Kensington, London W14 0NE | Get Directions Station Code: KPA Fare Zone: 2
Ticket Office: No Step Free: Yes, to Platforms but not between Ticket Gates: Yes
Lines Served/Interchanges: (District Line Service only on Weekends and Special Events)
London Overground Off Peak Service Frequency:
4 trains per hour in each direction
- 11 41 past to Willesden Junction
- 26 56 past to Stratford
- 10 25 40 55 past to Clapham Junction
Kensington was opened in May 1844 as the Southern terminus of the West London Railway but closed again along with the line on 1 December 1844 due to massive financial losses. A new station built to the north of the original opened, along with the reopening of the line, in June 1862 named Addison Road. The London & North Western Railway, who took over the WLR in 1854, began running services to and from Harrow and also from Camden in conjunction with the International Exhibition being held at the adjacent Olympia site.
Great Western Railway services came to Addison Road in June 1864 when they built the Hammersmith & City Railway with services initially running to Notting Hill before being extended to the City of London in April 1865.
January 1869 saw the commencement of London & South Western Railway services from Waterloo to Richmond via the station and these were followed in 1872 by the London & North Western Railway’s ‘Outer Circle’ service from Broad Street and the extension of the Great Western Railway services via the District Railway to Mansion House in 1872.
In 1907 the ‘Middle Circle’ services operated by the GWR’s Hammersmith & City Railway In 1916 the L&SWR closed their branch via Shepherds Bush and these services ceased and were replaced by Hammersmith & City Line services provided by the Metropolitan Railway. The London & South Western Railway services via Shepherds Bush to Richmond ceased in 1916
In 1940, Addison Road, along with all of the other West London Line stations and the Metropolitan Line link to Latimer Road were closed due to various bomb damage caused by the Blitz.
In 1946, the station was reopened as Kensington (Olympia) and was used as the Northern terminus of a peak hours only shuttle service to Clapham Junction mainly for workers at the Post Office Savings Bank in Blythe Road. A District Line shuttle was also provided to Earls Court although the connection between the District and Main lines was maintained it remained unusued and was removed in 1992. The current District Line bay platform was opened in 1958.
This service pattern continued until May 1986 when firstly London Underground retimetabled the Earls Court shuttle service and extended it to High Street Kensington on a regular daily schedule. This was followed by inter-regional services for The North and The Midlands to the South Coast being increased in frequency and now calling at the station.
In the early 1990s the layout of the station was redesigned, with the disused bay platforms on the Southeastern side being filled in and the southbound platform loop removed. The Southbound platform was also shortened, meaning that longer trains had to cross to the Northbound platform to stop.
After a gap of 54 years, a full passenger service between Clapham Junction & Willesden Junction was reinstated in 1994. This was followed by the withdrawal of inter-regional services in October 2008 after having already been reduced to just two services a day.
In 2012, following the takeover of the station and line by London Overground, The recently refurbished ticket office was closed and replaced by a Portacabin at the entrance to Platform 2. This was followed by the installation of ticket gates and the segregation of the station footbridge in July 2013. District Line services were also reduced back to a weekend and event day only shuttle.