South Acton (SAT) Station
Address: Palmerston Road, Acton, London W3 8TG | Get Directions Station Code: SAT Fare Zone: 3
Ticket Office: No Step Free: Yes, to platforms but not between Ticket Gates: No
Overground Lines Served:
Off Peak Service Frequency:
4 trains per hour in each direction
- 07 17 37 47 past to Stratford
- 04 14 34 44 past to Richmond
South Acton was opened by the North London Railway in 1880 as an interchange station between their line to Richmond and the North & South West Junction Railway’s branch line to Hammersmith & Chiswick station. Following authorisation by the Metropolitan Railway Act 1874, the District Railway constructed a short branch to the station from Acton Town with goods traffic starting in May 1899 and passenger services to Hounslow Barracks following in June 1905. In February 1909, the North London Railway and its services were taken over by the London & North Western Railway.
Following the onset of World War 1, in 1917 the North & South West Junction Railway ceased passenger operations on the Hammersmith & Chiswick branch as an economy measure with these services never resuming, although the line remained open for goods traffic.
In 1932, the District Railway service via South Acton to Richmond was cut back due to poor usage. The line was singled and the service was operated by a single car shuttle between Acton Town & South Acton. The following year, following the formation of the London Passenger Transport Board, the line from Acton Town to South Acton was absorbed as part of the District Line. In February 1959 the shuttle service to Acton Town was withdrawn and the line lifted along with the District Line platforms at the station.
The Hammersmith & Chiswick Branch line closed to goods traffic and was lifted in 1965. In 1979 South Acton and the line to Richmond became part of what is now the North London Line. Silverlink Trains took over the station and its services following privatisation in 1997 and this continued until these passed to London Overground in December 2007.