Gunnersbury (GUN) Station
Address: Chiswick High Road, London W4 4AN | Get Directions
Fare Zone: 3 Station Code: GUN
Overground Lines Served: North London Line
Underground Lines Served: District Line (Richmond Branch)
Off Peak Service Frequency:
4 trains per hour in each direction
- 04 14 34 44 past to Stratford
- 08 18 38 48 past to Richmond
Ticket Office: No Step Free: No Ticket Gates: Yes
Brentford Road station was opened by the London & South Western Railway on their new branch line to Richmond in January 1869. The new branch ran from Addison Road (now Kensington Olympia) via Shepherds Bush & Hammersmith to Richmond, with a short connection also built to the North & South Western Railway’s Brentford branch.
The Great Western Railway conducted trial operations of services between London Paddington & Richmond from June to October 1870, however these services did not prove popular and were withdrawn.
The station was renamed to Gunnersbury in 1871.
In June 1877, the District Railway constructed and opened an extension of their line to Hammersmith, connecting with the L&SWR’s tracks that enabled them to run through trains to Richmond. The Metropolitan Railway came to Gunnersbury in October 1877 when they restarted the former Great Western Railway service to Richmond, with the GWR sharing the service from January 1894.
The District Railway had begun the process of electrifying their lines in 1903 and decided to fund the electrification of the Richmond Branch, work being completed in August 1905. At the time, the District Railway was the only operator running electric services on the line, with the L&SWR,NLR,GWR and Metropolitan Railway still utilising steam.
From the end of 1906 services through Gunnersbury began to be cut back, with first the Metropolitan Railway withdrawing their trains in December and the GWR withdrawing in December 1910. This left the L&SWR,NLR & District Railway until, in June 1916, the L&SWR withdrew their services due to the competition provided by the District Railway.
Six passengers were injured in December 1954 when a tornado hit the station, tearing off the roof and causing damage to the station buildings. In 1966 the station was redeveloped with the original station building, along with two long redundant platforms being removed and the current island platform arrangement being constructed under an 18 floor office block.