Willesden Junction (WIJ) Station
Address: Station Approach, Harlesden NW10 4UY | Get Directions
Fare Zone: 2/3 Station Code: WIJ
Overground Lines Served: North London Line, Watford DC Lines, West London Line
Underground Line Served: Bakerloo Line
Off Peak Service Frequency:
North London Line (High Level Station)
6 trains per hour in each direction
- 06 16 26 36 46 56 past to Stratford
- 06 26 36 56 past to Richmond
- 16 46 past to Clapham Junction
Watford DC Lines (Low Level Station)
3 trains per hour in each direction
- 12 32 52 past to London Euston
- 11 31 51 past to Watford Junction
West London Line (start/terminate from High Level Station)
2 trains per hour
- 01 31 past to Clapham Junction
Ticket Office: Yes Step Free: Yes Ticket Gates: Yes
The original Willesden station was opened by the London & Birmingham Railway in 1841. Following the 1846 merger of the L&BR with the Grand Junction Railway and the Manchester & Birmingham Railway to form the London & North Western Railway, the decision was taken to close the original Willesden station and resite it 0.5miles Southeast to it’s current location.
The original station continued in operation until September 1866, when the L&NWR opened the new Willesden Junction Station on what was to become the West Coast Mainline.
In 1869, the North London Railway reached Willesden via it’s Hampstead Junction Railway from Camden, with a new high level station being built at right angles to the existing station. The tracks continued on a bridge over the West Coast Mainline and joined to the existing North & South Western Railway towards Richmond. The high level station was rebuilt with a new entrance and island platform in 1894.
Further expansion of Willesden Junction arrived in 1910, when the L&NWR opened the low level, or Willesden New Station to serve a new line from London Euston to Watford Junction. Further services began at this station in 1915 when the London Underground Bakerloo Line was extended from Queens Park along the line.
The mainline platforms were taken out of use and demolished in 1962 when the West Coast Mainline was electrified. This allowed the curvature of the line to be eased and therefore enable faster speeds through the area.