Upminster (UPM) Station
Address: Station Road, Upminster, Essex RM14 2TD | Get Directions Station Code: UPM Fare Zone: 6
Ticket Office: Yes Step Free: To London Underground, not Overground Ticket Gates: Yes
London Overground Off Peak Service Frequency:
2 trains per hour
- 24 54 past to Romford
Upminster Station was opened on 1 May 1885 on a new London Tilbury & Southend Railway line between Barking & Pitsea, considerably shortening the existing journey between Fenchurch Street and Southend.
Upminster gain further traffic in 1892, with the opening of a new LT&SR branch line to Grays, followed in 1893 by another new branch line to Romford. Both branches survive today with the former operated by C2C and the latter by London Overground.
In 1902, the newly formed Whitechapel & Bow Railway, a joint partnership between the Metropolitan District Railway and the London Tilbury & Southend opened it’s line from Whitechapel. This line connected the Metropolitan District’s underground services with the mainline services provided by the LT&SR, allowing MDR services to serve Upminster.
District Railway services were ceased to Upminster in 1905 as they converted to electric traction, with the lines at the time only electrified to East Ham. This was the case until 1932, when the London Midland & Scottish Railway completed the electrification of the line to Upminster.
At the same time as the electrification, the LMS also took the opportunity to expand the station, with a new station building provided on Station Road as well as a pair of footbridges and new platform buildings.
In 1933, the London Passenger Transport Board assumed control of the District Railway, renaming it the District Line.
London Overground took over management of the service to Romford from Abellio Greater Anglia in May 2015.