Golders Green Station
Address: North End Rd, London NW11 7RN | Get Directions Station Code: GGN Fare Zone: 3 Step Free: Street to Platform
Golders Green station was opened as one of two (the other being Archway) Northern termini of the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway in June 1907. The CCE&HR also chose Golders Green to be the site of their maintenance depot, which also survives today. On opening, Golders Green was a small hamlet surrounded by countryside but, as with other examples, the arrival of the railway sowed the seeds for a rapid boom in house building which saw Golders Green flourish as a population centre.
Shortly before the outbreak of World War 1, plans were put forward to extend the line beyond Golders Green to Edgware. These plans were put on hold over the period of hostilities but were revived after, with construction beginning in June 1922 and the first stage of the extension as far as Hendon Central opening on 19 November 1923.
Golders Green also has the ubiquitous honour of being the last station on the Northern line to utilise semaphore signals, which were finally replaced in 1950.