Brent Cross Station
Address: Highfield Avenue London NW11 9UA | Get Directions
Fare Zone: 3 Lines Served: Northern Line (Edgware Branch)
Brent Station, named after a local river, was the first of two (the other being Hendon Central) stations opened on 19 November 1923 as the first part of the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway’s extension from Golders Green towards Edgware. When the extension was first planned, prior to the commencement of World War 1, the Stanley Heaps designed station was intended to be called Woodstock.
When the station originally opened, the track layout was designed to provide a passing loop on each side of the central platform to allow fast services to overtake those stopping at all stations, however these were removed in the early 1930s, providing the arrangement still in use today.
With the opening of the nearby Shopping Centre in 1976, the station was renamed to Brent Cross to reflect the new building, although the station is roughly a 15 minute walk away. Future plans for the wider Brent Cross area envisage a complete regeneration of the shopping centre and the surrounding area which will have a direct bearing on the Underground Station, including the possibility of making the station better connected to the local area although, at the time of writing, no such works have commenced.