Hendon Central Station
Address: Central Circus, Hendon NW4 3AS | Get Directions Station Code: HCL Fare Zone: 3/4 Step Free: Street to Platform
Hendon Central Station was one of two (the other being Brent) stations opened on 19 November 1923 as the first part of the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway’s extension from Golders Green towards Edgware. The station initially served as the terminus of the extension until, on 18 August 1924, the remainder of the line to Edgware was opened.
When the station, designed by renowned architect Stanley Heaps, was originally opened, it stood by itself surrounded by open fields. As is the case with most of the Underground railway lines extended into the outer reaches of the Capital, the coming of the railway was a catalyst to growth of the area, with the construction of the local surroundings being centered on the station and the roundabout (named Central Circus) built outside it, intersecting four approach roads that reach all parts of the suburb.
Hendon Central was bestowed with Grade II listed status in July 2011 and is described as a superb example of Neo-Georgian architecture.