Address: Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HR | Get Directions Station Code: CND Fare Zone: 4 Step Free: No
Colindale Station was the first station opened on 18 August 1924 as part of the second phase of the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway’s extension from Golders Green towards Edgware. The original station building was designed by Stanley Heaps and closely resembled the example at Brent Cross, this structure lasted until, on 25 September 1940, the station was bombed by the Luftwaffe and the ticket hall was destroyed, killing 13 people.
After the bombing, a simple timber based structure was built to replace the original ticket hall. This structure lasted until 1962 when the station site was redeveloped and was replaced by a brick structure built at the base of a 4 floor office block (Station House), with a row of retail shops built to one side. The station continued in this form until 2009, when regeneration of the local area began. By late 2011/early 2012, Station House had been demolished, leaving just the station building on the site with new living accommodation being built behind the existing station building.
Further improvements were also made to the station building in the years following, including the provision of step free access. This improvement programme culminated in 2014, when the station frontage and ticket hall received a modernisation to fit in with the new buildings in the local area. Future plans have been proposed to move the station building to another part of the regeneration site but, as at time of writing, no plans have been finalised.