Clapton (CT) Bus Garage
Operator: Arriva London Opened: 1882 Address: Bohemia Place, Mare Street, London E8 1DU | Get Directions
Current Routes Operated: 38 242 393 N38
The origins of Clapton bus garage can be traced back to 1882, when the site was opened as Hackney Tram Depot and was used to house horsedrawn trams.
The site was taken over by the London County Council in the early 1900s and was used as a base for electric tram operations, changing ownership to the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933.
In 1939, the electric trams were withdrawn from the depot and replaced by trolleybuses. Due to the larger number of vehicles based here, several surrounding buildings in Bohemia Place were demolished to provide both more space, and better access.
The depot was renamed to Clapton in 1950 and was converted for use by motor buses and was used to house the vehicles gradually being introduced as part of the trolleybus replacement programme.
Clapton garage was closed in 1987, mainly due to a downturn in work, with the remaining routes being transferred to Ash Grove garage. However, the garage re-opened in 1989 to house Route 236 as Walthamstow garage had become too full.
Following the closure of Ash Grove garage in 1991, work steadily picked up for Clapton and in 1995, it took on route 253 from the recently closed Stamford Hill.
in 1998, Clapton had the distinction of being the first bus garage to be allocated low floor double decker buses.