Mill Hill East Station
Address: Bittacy Hill, London NW7 1BS | Get Directions Station Code: MHL Fare Zone: 4 Step Free: No
Mill Hill East Station was constructed by the Edgware, Highgate & London Railway on it’s line from Edgware to Finsbury Park. However, before the station, or the line could open, the EH&LR was purchased by the Great Northern Railway in July 1867. The station opened, named Mill Hill with the rest of the line on August 22 1867.
In 1935, the London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) announced it’s Northern Heights Project as part of the New Works Programme 1935 -1940. The project would see the former GNR lines (taken over by the LNER in 1921) linked to the existing Northern Line at East Finchley. The line from Finchley Central to Edgware was closed along with Mill Hill East in September 1939 to allow electrification and reconstruction.
Electrification of the line had been completed as far as Mill Hill East when the outbreak of World War II caused work to cease, with electric train services commencing on the line in 1941 to serve the Inglis Army Barracks. No further works were undertaken and, upon the cessation of hostilities in 1945, the decision was taken by the LPTB not to continue the Northern Heights Project. This left just a short single line branch from Finchley Central to Mill Hill East, which is used today to provide a shuttle service between the two stations.
Alongside Finchley Central, Mill Hill East is the other station on the Northern Line to retain it’s original Edgware, Highgate & London Railway station building, making it a station of historical interest.