Finchley Central Station
Address: Regent’s Park Road, London N3 2RY | Get Directions
Fare Zone: 4 Lines Served: Northern Line
Finchley Central Station was constructed by the Edgware, Highgate & London Railway on it’s line from Edgware to Finsbury Park. However, before the station, or the line could open, the EH&LR was purchased by the Great Northern Railway in July 1867.
The station opened, named Finchley & Hendon with the rest of the line on August 22 1867. Nothing of further note occurred until 1 April 1872, when the GNR opened it’s new branch line from the station to High Barnet.
Further name changes to the station were made by the GNR in the following years; to Finchley in February 1872 and Finchley, Church End in February 1894. It wasn’t until 1940, when the London Passenger Transport Board took over the line, that the station received it’s current name.
In 1935, the London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) announced it’s Northern Heights Project as part of the New Works Programme 1935 -1940. The project would see the former GNR lines (taken over by the LNER in 1921) linked to the existing Northern Line at East Finchley. The line from Finchley Central to Edgware was closed in September 1939 to allow electrification and reconstruction.
By the outbreak of the Second World War, the line to Edgware had been electrified as far as Mill Hill East before work was ceased.
Finchley Central saw it’s first electrified Northern Line services to High Barnet on April 14 1940, running alongside LNER steam services on that branch until March 1941 when LNER services ceased. Northern Line services to Mill Hill East commenced in May 1941 to serve the Inglis Army Barracks.
Following the end of World War 2, work on the Northern Heights Project never resumed, which left just the stub of line across Dollis Brook Viaduct to Mill Hill East that is still used today.
The station today retains much of it’s Victorian character with the only modern addition being lift shafts to all platforms allowing step free access.
Finchley Central is a station of historical interest in London Underground terms. Not only is it one of only two stations (the other being Mill Hill East) to retain it’s original EH&LR station buildings, it is also the station that Harry Beck, creator of the Tube Map, used for his daily commute into London. This is commemorated by a plaque at the station alongside an enamel rendition of the original map.