Woodside Park Station
Address: Woodside Park Rd, London N12 8RT | Get Directions
Fare Zone: 4 Lines Served: Northern Line
Woodside Park Station was originally planned to open as Torrington Park by the Edgware, Highgate & London Railway on it’s branch line to High Barnet.
The station opened under this name on 1 April 1872, operated by the Great Northern Railway, who had taken over the EH&LR and they renamed the station Torrington Park, Woodside in May of that year, before renaming it again to Woodside Park in May 1882.
As a result of the 1921 Railways Act, the station became part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) in 1923, before passing to the London Passenger Transport Board as part of the Northern Heights project, inaugurated by the New Works Programme 1935-1940. Following electrification in the late 1930s, Northern Line services started running through Woodside Park on 14 April 1940, alongside the steam operated services of the LNER, which were withdrawn on 2 March 1941. The station goods yard closed to traffic in October 1962.
As with others on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line, Woodside Park Station retains a lot of it’s Victorian character, but a particular highlight of the station is the disused signal box at the Barnet end of platform 2.