West Finchley Station
Address: Nether Street London N3 1NT | Get Directions Station Code: WFN Fare Zone: 4 Step Free: Street to Platform
West Finchley Station was opened by the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) on 1 March 1933 as part of it’s High Barnet branch line.
The station was built to serve new housing developments in the area and from the outset was built as a very modest structure, lacking the Victorian charm of the stations to the North, which had opened under the ownership of LNER’s predecessor, the Edgware, Highgate & London Railway (EH&LR).
In the 1930s, the station, along with the High Barnet branch, were taken over by the London Passenger Transport Board as part of the Northern Heights project.
The line was electrified towards the end of the 1930s, with Northern Line services commencing on 14 April 1940 running alongside LNER steam services, until these were withdrawn on 2 March 1941.