Totteridge & Whetstone Station
Address: Totteridge Lane, London N20 0HD| Get Directions
Fare Zone: 4 Lines Served: Northern Line (High Barnet Branch)
Totteridge & Whetstone (originally Whetstone and Totteridge) was opened alongside High Barnet to the North and Woodside Park to the South, in April 1872 as a branch from the GNR line from Edgware to Finsbury Park, which it joined at Finchley Central.
In 1923, the Great Northern Railway was absorbed by the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) with the lines to High Barnet & Edgware continuing as a steam service. In 1933, the London Passenger Transport Board took over the lines and in 1937, as part of the the New Works Programme 1935 – 1940 the line was connected to the newly formed Northern Line via new tunnels to Archway (formerly known as Highgate). Electrification of the line, along with commencement of Northern Line services occurred in April 1940, However LNER steam services did not cease until 1941.
Totteridge & Whetstone still maintains it’s original Victorian architecture and has a charm all of it’s own. Due to the constraints of the station site, step free access is not possible due to the staircases down to the platforms.