Address: High Road, London E10 5PS | Get Directions
Fare Zone: 3 Line Served: Central Line
Leyton station was originally opened in August 1856 by the Eastern Counties Railway and was originally called “Low Leyton”. On 27 November 1867, the Great Eastern Railway, who had taken over the line, renamed the station to just Leyton. The current station buildings largely date from the reconstruction of 1879, which saw the original level crossing at the station replaced with a bridge. Further alterations were carried out as the station transferred from London & North Eastern Railway ownership to London Underground as part of the eastern extension of the Central line which opened in May 1947.
The original Northern ticket hall and entrance, opened in 1901, was controversially demolished as part of the M11 extension which was built adjacent to the station in the 1990s.