Arnos Grove Station
Address: Bowes Rd, Arnos Grove, London N11 1AN | Get Directions Station Code: ASG Fare Zone: 4 Step Free: No
Arnos Grove station opened as a terminus on 19 September 1932 when the first section of the Cockfosters extension of the Piccadilly Line from Finsbury Park was opened, alternative names suggested before the opening were Arnos Park, Bowes Road and Southgate. The station ceased being the northern terminus with the extension of the line to Oakwood, which opened in 1933, although today, some service still terminate in the central platform of the station.
Like all of the other Charles Holden designed stations on the extension, Arnos Grove was built in a modern European style using brick, glass and reinforced concrete, the design being inspired by the Stockholm City Library. The centre of the ticket hall is occupied by a now disused ticket office (passimeter), which houses a small exhibition dedicated to Charles Holden’s work.
In 2005, the station underwent refurbishment. Although a lot of the original station features were retained, improvements were made to the signage, security and information systems as well general redecoration and repairs, including the replacement of flooring.
July 2011 saw Arnos Grove bestowed with Grade II listed status.