Turkey Street (TUR) Station
Address: Teal Close, Enfield, EN3 5TT | Get Directions Station Code: TUR Fare Zone: 6
Ticket Office: Yes Step Free: No Ticket Gates: Yes
Off Peak Service Frequency: 2 trains per hour in each direction:
- 06 36 past to Liverpool Street
- 17 47 past to Cheshunt
Forty Hill Station was opened by the Great Eastern Railway on their new Churchbury Loop line from Edmonton Green to Cheshunt on 1 October 1891. The rural nature of the area, coupled with the inconvenient need to change trains at White Hart Lane to access the City, plus the commencement of electric tramway services from nearby Waltham Cross, saw the station close to passengers in 1909.
During the First World War the station was reopened to serve munitions workers from the nearby Royal Small Arms Factory, but was closed again to passengers in 1919, although freight services still used the station goods yard.
Following Nationalisation of the railways in 1948, the line and station came under the management of British Railways (Eastern Region). In the late 1950s, British Railways took the decision to electrify the loop and reopen the three stations that had closed (Churchbury, Forty Hill & Theobalds Grove). Work began almost immediately and the line, as well as the station was reopened in 1960 with the station renamed Turkey Street.
The goods yard closed in 1966 and was followed by the original station ticket office which closed in the early 1970s, access to the platforms instead being provided via an entrance to the rear of the Station Master’s House. This entrance led to the same tunnel under the tracks that was used from the original ticket office but that entrance was bricked up.
The 1980s saw the Station Masters house demolished and replaced with a steel canopy and a ticket window and office was installed into one of the vacant arches under the railway. Following the transfer of ownership from Abellio Greater Anglia to London Overground in May 2015, the steel canopy was demolished and replaced by a new glass fronted building that opened in June 2017.
The original 1891 station ticket office still exists in use as a retail shop.